The latest from us on COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
The latest information on Smiths City's response to COVID-19 (Coronavirus): What we're doing and what you can expect from us
Updated 6.00pm Tuesday, 31 March 2020
Your essentials, made easy.
Making life easy for everyday Kiwis, every day. That’s what we’re all about.
Our Government believes there are essential items for the home that Kiwis need help to access, safely and easily, during the COVID-19 Alert Level 4 lockdown. We believe that, too.
From today, you can shop for selected essential items for your home and family on our website and we’ll deliver it, safely, to your door.
When it comes to our selected range of essential items, we’re taking lead from the Government and the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment on what items fit the bill. If you need refrigeration, cooking, or laundry appliances, computers and tablets for work or learning, home office essentials, heating, or nursery products, we’ve got you covered. And if our Government starts to find that more products are essential, we'll do our best to supply them, too.
Being able to help Kiwis access essentials for their homes and family during the COVID-19 Alert Level 4 lockdown means a lot to us, and we’re taking it seriously. For us, that means making sure we’re only selling essential products that we’re able to supply, and that we’re delivering orders safely and securely to our customers’ doors.
To supply the essential items available for order on our website, we’ll operate from our closed Christchurch stores and our Christchurch distribution centre. Our team members supporting this service will be working under strict physical distancing and hygiene rules to keep them, their families, and our communities safe and healthy.
We’ll also be introducing temporary changes to our delivery processes to prioritise health and safety for all orders delivered during the lockdown.
Our stores will remain closed for the duration of the Alert Level 4 lockdown, and non-essential items will also continue to be unavailable for online orders during lockdown - you’re welcome to keep window shopping online until we start accepting online orders again though! Just save your faves to your Wishlist so they’re ready to add to your cart when normal online shopping is available again.
Another thing that hasn't changed today: We're still here for you.
Here's how you can get in touch if you need support:
- Have a question about an order you've made? Contact our Customer Support team >
- After a hand with a previous purchase? Our Customer Support team are here to help >
- Need to talk to us about your account or making payments? Contact our Credit team >
- Looking for support for your business? Our Commercial team are standing by >
Smiths City has been helping Kiwis feel at home since 1918, and we’re so proud to be able to support our communities during this unprecedented time. Thank you for your patience and your continued support. Let’s get through this together.
CEO, Smiths City
Contactless deliveries with health and safety in mind
Like always, the most important thing to us is the health and safety of our customers, teams, and communities. So, we’ve made some temporary changes to our delivery processes for your home essential orders during lockdown.
SMALL ITEM DELIVERIES
If we’re sending an order to you by courier, it will be delivered by our delivery partner, CourierPost as a signature-required delivery. For the time being, CourierPost’s signature-required delivery is different to what you might be used to.
Here’s what to expect:
- Your courier will knock on the door as usual and step back two metres (or as far back as safe).
- They will wait for someone to come to the door and greet them as usual.
- They will then ask for the recipient’s name (to record proof of delivery) and leave the parcel on the doorstep. The person receiving the parcel will not sign for the delivery directly.
- If no one comes to the door and there is no Parcel Leave service in place, the courier will follow the standard process which is to leave a card to call, with details of the delivery and return the parcel to the depot.
LARGE ITEM DELIVERIES
If we’re delivering a large order to your home or business, it will be delivered by our own Delivery team or by one of our trusted regional delivery partners.
For the time being, here’s what to expect:
- We’ll contact you directly on the day we expect to deliver your order and ask you a few questions to assess if there are any potential health risks involved in the delivery regarding self-isolation in your home. If there are any concerns, we’ll work with you to understand how we’re best to organise your delivery.
- When we arrive at your home, we’ll knock on the door as usual and step back 3 metres (or as far as safe).
- We’ll deliver your order to an agreed location outside of your home. In some specific cases, if necessary, we may be able to deliver your order just inside the door to ensure your order is safe and to make sure your door can open and close as normal.
- We’ll ask for the recipient’s name and print this on our consignment note. For everyone’s safety, signatures won’t be necessary.
Have a question about an order you've made?
Our stores, online shopping services, and distribution centres are temporarily closed while our teams stay safe and unite against COVID-19.
If you have an outstanding order, we'll be prioritising the delivery of your order once we're able to reopen after Alert Level 4 is lifted.
Here's what we can do for you now:
- Deliver your order when we reopen: If you're happy to wait for your order to be delivered once we reopen, great! Delivery of your order will be prioritised once we can reopen. If you'd like to go ahead with this option, you don't need to do anything at all. You'll hear from us again directly once Alert Level 4 is lifted.
- Cancel your order: If you'd like to cancel your order and receive a refund, please let us know. Either reply to your order confirmation email we sent you, send us a message, or call us on 0800 764 847 - just remember to have your order number handy.
Thanks so much for your support and patience during this difficult time.
Help for our Finance Customers
Caring for our customers and our teams is at the heart of everything we do - it's what our Smiths City Finance Fair Play Promise is all about. The circumstances following the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic has made this more important than ever.
If you're a Smiths City Finance customer and you have a question or need a hand with your account, our Credit team is available throughout the lockdown to support you.
Supporting our Commercial Customers
Our doors might be closed but our dedicated Smiths City Commercial team are on hand to continue supporting your business and commercial needs throughout COVID-19 Alert Level 4 - including your home essentials!
If you're a Smiths City Commercial customer and you need a hand with quotes or sales, reach out to your Smiths City Commercial representative.
Have a question about repairs?
We're sorry to say we're unable to help with product repairs during COVID-19 Alert Level 4. This is due to Smiths City not meeting the requirements of an essential service. You can count on us to help once we're able to reopen, though!
Just send us a message using our Contact form, including your contact details and affected product details, and we'll get back in touch to schedule your repair as soon as we're able to reopen.
Quick tip: Be sure to select 'Repair Request' as your enquiry type when you send your message.
For Further Support:
- Read our FAQs on how we can help during COVID-19 Alert Level 4 >
- Get updates and helpful information from the Ministry of Health >
- Contact us about an order >